Family, Humor, Psychology, Life

Monday, February 23, 2009

Lessons in Psychology

I am so excited! For surgery! Now you may ask, why would someone be excited about surgery? Well, I get to observe orthopedic surgeries!

I went to visit my orthopedic surgeon-I'm having surgery on my left shoulder to repair ligaments due to excessive dislocations (that is not so yay). I'm starting the Nursing Program at school in the summer and I told my doctor about it and inquired about perhaps observing his surgeries. He told me that whenever I wanted, he'd be more than happy to have me.

I'm not gonna lie- I miss it. The scrubs, the smell of sterilization, the hustle-and-bustle, and the calm that can be induced (sans drugs) to overly anxious patients and their families.

Dr.___ set me up with his scheduler to arrange observance days (Mondays and Wednesdays-I don't even have class!).

Now, the mission to convince granny commences. I called my mom to tell her the great news, and she gave me the golden nugget of wisdom. Make this situation seem as if it stems from her influence and she'll be on board, otherwise it'll be an uphill battle. So I called her containing my excitement as much as possible (I can't let on that this is super exciting to me, or she'll treaten to take it away at a later date).

I explained to granny that I had gone to see the Dr. (whom she and Red see as well), and that when I told him about the Nursing Program he suggested that I observe his surgeries. And that the only reason that he was allowing me this opportunity was because he knows dear old granny, and what a wonderful family I come from.

"Buell, ob course! He know how I am, an jur uncle too!" of course granny, he's only allowing this because of you and Red. I also slid in that he believes that if I observe him, that it will give me an advantage over the other nursing student applicants.

"Buell den, ju haves to go! If he say he need you to be dere, ju say no proglem, and I take ju."

SCORE! So now I get to spend time in the OR with granny's blessing and *gasp!* encouragement. All due to her goodliness and as mom says her "godliness". She also gave me $$ to go buy scrubs and sneakers. I encouraged her to extract that money from the return check I recieved from my Pell Grant ($200) which was supposed to be used for school purposes- she quickly changed the subject, as did Tio when I suggested it to him. Hmmm, I wonder exactly where is that money. I was told it was going to be set up in a checking account, that was almost 2 months ago....

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful. I don't understand what sorts of issues Granny would have with this though. Seems like a win-win deal all around

    ReplyDelete